Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tired tires

As I was wondering if my blog might be gaining any traction, I figured I might as well mention tires. I touched on keeping proper pressure in an earlier post, but what else? I recently lost two tires in less than a month, and ended up replacing all four.

Even though the tread was still adequate, I had not noticed there were small cracks starting to appear in the sides. Popularly known as 'dry rot', this type of tire failure can cause a flat or even a sudden blowout. A severe case of rubber failure of this type can look like this-



So, look at your tires at least once a week, check the pressure once a month or so, keep an eye out for low tread depth and any other defects like uneven wear or cracks like those shown above.

Happy motoring and may God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice Article Mike! Checking your tires are very important, especially as cold weather sets in. When there are severe temperature changes you really should check your pressure.

    ReplyDelete